Friday 26 January 2018

Anatomy of a Suicide - Longest Silence

My longest silence up to Scene 9 is the entirety of Scene 8. In this scene, the focus is on Carol's Scene - Dinner - as there is little speech on Bonnie's side of the stage and no speech on Anna's section of the stage. The following video shows what I could possibly do in Scene 8:


In this scene Anna is getting ready for her wedding to Jamie. In the stage directions, it says that Anna is doing her make up and hair throughout the scene as well as putting on her dress and dancing with John. At the time that I recorded this, I didn't have access to a wedding dress or someone to dance with as John. Instead, I did my make up and hair. I think that during the performance, I'd have to be a bit quicker in applying make up as doing the above took me to the end of the speech on Carol's side of the stage which would mean less time for Anna to dance by herself before John comes back in to dance with her. Moreover, I don't think that Anna would wear eyeliner, as I applied in the video, as she'd want to be natural in her appearance. Additionally, my hair may already be brushed/straightened prior to this scene which would allow more time to apply make up and include the slow dancing by myself and with Marlon (as John). I may also have to reduce the amount of make up that I use as the stage directions also say that Anna should get dressed into her wedding dress onstage. However, as this is a school production I'm not sure whether we would include Anna getting into the wedding dress or start the scene off with her already in the wedding dress.

 In this scene, I think that Anna would be thinking mainly about the wedding about whether its going to go smoothly and thinking about every last detail before she does get married. Her thoughts may also turn to Carol and how she may have reacted to Anna getting married as Anna may have wanted Carol with her and so that Carol could give her advice. As John appears at the end of this scene, it suggests that Anna and John have reconciled and have repaired their relationship from the awkward disaster that was Scene 4, especially as it appears that John is going to give Anna away. This would again give the audience hope that Anna is finally becoming happy and that everything will be alright. However, as Bonnie has already said that Anna has died, it again makes the audience question what will go wrong in her life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

TIE - Part 19

This Thursday we had our second performance of the TIE piece. Overall, this performance went better than the previous performance - I think ...